Coming to the Nation’s Capital to see the historic sights, sounds, museums, monuments, and everything else that is Washington DC? From Watergate to the FBI and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (money), the Hampton Inn Old Town Alexandria Area wants to be your base hotel for exploring the region.
Our upscale Make It Hampton® hotel is about ½ miles from the Washington DC Metrorail subway system’s Huntington Station. We provide courtesy shuttle service to and from the station. The station is your passport to all the sights and sounds of the Capital District! A complete map of the subway system can be found here. The Huntington Station is at the end of the yellow line in Alexandria.
We would like to offer some tips to spending a day in the Washington DC area:
- Wear comfortable shoes – you will be walking a lot and far distances even with the subway system many monuments and museums are significant distances from stations and each other.
- Wear comfortable clothes and expect it to be hot and humid if traveling during the summer months.
- Bring cash for water bottle vendors located all over the National Mall and other areas.
- Be prepared for crowds if traveling during peak seasons (Spring and Summer).
- Be alert. The subway system is one of the safest ones in the country but is in a very urban area. Watch purses, wallets, hand bags, etc.
- Use the subway system – don’t bring a car into central DC.
While we won’t claim or even attempt to list all the attractions in the Washington DC area, some of our favorites are below. Linked at the bottom of this page is the official visitor’s bureau where they do attempt to list them all so explore their site for more attractions and greater information about them all. Have fun and welcome to the Hampton Inn!
Washington DC Area Monuments and Memorials
- African American Civil War Memorial
- FDR Memorial
- Iwo Jima Statue
- Korean War Memorial
- Lincoln Memorial
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial
- Viet Nam Memorial
- Washington Memorial
- World War II Memorial
Washington DC Other Attractions
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Ford’s Theatre
- International Spy Museum
- Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens
- Kennedy Center
- Library of Congress
- National Aquarium
- National Children’s Museum - reopens in 2009
- Pentagon (Arlington)
- Postal Museum
- Smithsonian Museums (see our Smithsonian page for more)
- Torpedo Factory Art Center (Alexandria)
- US Capitol
- US Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Washington DC Ducks Land/Sea Tours
- White House
- Washington National Cathedral
Washington DC Outdoor Park Areas
- C&O National Historic Park (Georgetown)
- George Washington Memorial Parkway
- National Mall
- National Zoo
The Hampton Inn Old Town Alexandria Area is the perfect choice for accommodations when you are visiting the Washington DC area. Whether you are in town for a short while on business, have some extra leisure time, or bringing the family in for the weekend, our central location in across the Potomac in Alexandria just minutes from the Reagan National airport is perfect for getting to all the sights and sounds of the Capital Beltway District.
Our hotel offers 213 Make It Hampton® guest rooms. All of them are outfitted with complimentary high-speed Internet and all guests are invited to join us daily in the mornings for our On the House™ hot complimentary breakfast. Book your room on-line today and relax knowing that you’ll get the Best Rate Guaranteed as well as the opportunity to earn points and miles in the Hilton HHonors® frequent stay program from this website.